Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Couple Wedding Projects


When my parents, in-laws and Kevin and I got married most couples picked to wed during June or July, basically, getting married in the summer months.  Now it seems they are straying away from tradition.  Furthermore, white gowns and black tux are now black gowns and white tuxes are the new wedding attire.  I am not sure if it is because white was for purity and a lot are not now or what is going on.  My niece sent us a pre notification that they will be getting married in September.

So with that in mind, here are a few ideas to make for a unique gift.  I like making a ring bearer pillow; because, I inherited my grandmother’s not used handkerchiefs and then I got my dad not used handkerchiefs.  Being a upcyclist, I had to think what to do with these handkerchiefs; so, one day I thought of the saying ”something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a penny in your shoe” well, this is something old and new and some of the handkerchiefs had blue on them.  I have sold all the ones that qualify with these criteria.  I do have purple and orange ones left.  Several months ago I discovered that I had more handkerchiefs not used.  I will be making more pillows with them.  I may make one for my niece.

 

Check out my store at http://sanditipple.ioffer.com/ for more ring bearer pillows!
 
Let’s begin the ideas.

Sew a Bridal Garter
                     

Materials:  26" of flat (not gathered) 2" - 2 1/2" wide lace with one scalloped or decorative edge, 26" of 1/4 - 1/2" wide flat lace with one decorative edge for the top edge of the garter, 2 pieces of 26" of 1" wide white satin ribbon (or one satin and one grosgrain ribbon), 13" of 1/2" wide elastic, 1/4" wide ribbon for decorating and Embellishments to decorate the garter -- The garter shown here used a heart shaped button.

Instructions: 
Align the ends of the lace and the ends of the ribbon.   Lay the straight edge of the lace on the bottom edge of the ribbon so the lace overlaps the ribbon by an eighth to a sixteenth of an inch.  Sew the lace to the ribbon, sewing an even distance from the edge of the ribbon and as close to the edge of the ribbon as possible.  Repeat to attach the narrower lace to the top edge of the ribbon.

Align the second piece of ribbon directly under the first piece of ribbon.   Top stitch the ribbon to attach it to the first piece of ribbon, and sewing as close to the edges as possible.   Repeat for the second edge of the ribbon.

 

Using a safety pin or a bodkin, thread the elastic between the pieces of ribbon.  Stop pulling the elastic through as the end of the elastic aligns with the ends of the ribbon and stitch the elastic to the ends of the ribbon. Continue pulling the elastic trough and align the end of the elastic with the opposite ends of the ribbon.   Stitch the elastic to the opposite end. 
         
Place the wrong sides (the side which will be against the leg) of the garter together and align the ends and edges.    Sew a seam, using a scan 1/4" seam allowance.  Trim the seam allowance.   

Fold the garter on the sewn seam, so the right sides of the garter are together and the sewn seam is the edge.   Sew a seam using a 1/4" seam allowance, which will enclose the raw edges.

Cut 3 six inch pieces of 1/4" wide ribbon.  Keeping one side of the ribbon up, loop the ribbon and lay it on top of itself.  Repeat for all three pieces, pinning the overlap in place.
 
Lay all of the sections on top of each other and fan the loops.  Hand sews the loops in place.  Sew a decoration on top of the loop intersections. A button was used here but a bead, or ribbon rose could also be used.
More Decorating Ideas
  • Sew a color ribbon that is less than 1" wide on top of the outer satin ribbon before assembling the garter. Consider using a novelty sports, or hobby decorated ribbon for a fun touch.
  • Use a solid fabric as the ruffled lace and embroider initial or wedding date before assembling the garter.
  • Add an applique to the garter.
 
Fabric Coasters

 
Materials:  2 square pieces of material per coaster needle and thread, batting.

INSTRUCTIONS:
 
Place two squares right sides together.
Place batting on top of squares. Sew around 3 1/2 sides.
Turn right side out and sew the rest of the way around, tucking in the seam as you sew.

I had a time finding things to make; because, they focused on favors and decorations to make or gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsman.


If you are not into sewing or have a lot of time before a weeding you could make cross stitched coasters or visit your local craft store and find a cross stitch picture to do or crochet this bridal keepsake pouch/purse
http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/june3.html.  You could make it in blue so the bride would have new and blue covered.

I would love to get other ideas to make; so that, I could have some other options than just pillows or gift registry items.  I like the more personal feeling to my gifts.

Share your ideas on this or anything here on the blog either here or e-mail me at stipple@verizon.net.    I look forward to hearing from you!

Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment